Stu screenprints at ErrorSolutions and runs Lovenskate, which proudly uses hand-screenprinting methods for all their products, giving them an awesome tactility missing in more recent (digital) printing processes. They make t-shirts, mugs, boards, hats and zines. My favourite thing is probably the ‘Drink Tea Get Rad’ mug. We’re wearing Lovenskate’s ‘Sleepless In Seattle’ t- shirts in Postman’s Park in our London article. Stu is very active in the British skateboarding scene, and hosts and organises jams and competitions across the country. He also made a fantastic DVD about skateboarding in Bolivia that we’ll probably review at some point in this magazine. All in all, he’s a pretty amazing person. We asked him for five awe-inspiring experiences outside of skateboarding and art.
- 1. Stretching in the morning. I turned 31 in the Summer, and I no longer bend like I used too. I figured I could grow slowly old and stiff and miserable, or I could take the bull by the horns, man it out, try and touch my toes everyday, and maybe squeeze another 10 years of skateboarding out of myself. Who knows, with this attitude, I might even be able to kick a ball round with my kids one day.
2. Learning basic Spanish. This meant that Spain and South America (which were otherwise a world full of total strangers) became a second home, and full of some of my best Amigos! I think I had 10 lessons. Once you can say hello and buy a local a beer, you’ll pick it up no problems!
3. Meeting Gunnar Quispe. Since I met this man in Bolivia in 2002 I have returned there twice. Gunnar has come to England and established himself as a Master Tattooist. He taught me most of my bad habits in Spanish, the slang and the swear words, which have opened doors to me and got me out of some tight spots. I am now The God Father to his little boy Alejandro in La Paz, STOKED!!!
4. Discovering tea. This is my constant companion. Great in the summer and winter, essential in the morning and the evening. No drink comes close. It’s my opinion that it heals most wounds, and definitely brought us to victory in 2 world wars.
5. Moving to London. This was the best decision I made in my life. I hated it at first, it’s hard and uninviting, but it made me work hard and push myself. I’ve met my best friends here, and ten years on, I feel like part of the very mechanics of the place. It’s a good feeling, so if you’re struggling, hang on in there; she’s a cold mistress, but she’ll warm up if you’re determined.
Get up half an hour earlier and eat 2 poached eggs on toast with chilli sauce. I don’t know if there are any real benefits, but I’ve been doing it every day for 4 months and I feel great. I recommend Encona Hot Chilli Sauce, thick and dippy, or the runnier Louisiana Hot Sauce, both cost about £1 a bottle. Start the day with a bang!